I’ve been off of Facebook for six days. This is big for me. I realized I needed to step away from the status updates, the lurking around in friends’ photos, the never ending refresh to see what was new in my news stream. What have I learned this week?
1. People are either a) very curious/cannot understand WHY anyone would voluntarily stop using Facebook or b) get it and offer encouragement.
2. I’m not really any less “in the know” or at least I don’t know what I don’t know and I’m still able to function.
3. I was able to get writing done in a more timely fashion.
4. It’s handy to share many of the same friends with my husband so that he can give me the updates. (Is that kind of cheating?)
5. I think in status updates (i.e., I was writing them in my head and not posting them). This scares me.
How about you, have you ever taken a purposeful break from Facebook? How long was it? What did you learn? Never taken one and never want to? Share why you feel that way.